SC - Kids and feasts

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Tue Aug 4 18:51:32 PDT 1998

melc2newton at juno.com wrote:

> I am bidding to be Kitchen Steward, for my shires winter event, it will
> be a German dinner with Sauerbraten as the main course. My question for
> all the cooks who didn't go to Pennsic and those answering afterward is
> this, should there be a seperate childrens course and sitting area? If
> yes where should this be in the feast area. And should the kinder be
> given the last  course first or should they be given something special (
> not regular feast) such as hot dogs or Hamburgers?

If a seperate children's feast is served, I usually do it in the child
care/child activities area rather than serving them with their family.  My usual
step is to make hotdogs, chicken strips, homemade mac and cheese, etc. then
serve the same desserts the parents are getting (or cookies).  The other
alternative is to not make a childrens' feast, let the parents know what the
feast is and serve the smalls what they will eat of it and suppliment from home.

> I also would like to have the feast seated as to precedence ( Highest
> ranking member of family) i.e. If Duke Joe and Countess Jo Anne come to
> the event together then they would sit with the other Dukes and Duchess'.
>  Is this asking to much of the heralds and has this been done in any
> feast you all have attended.  The event is in January but preparation
> begins now.

You CAN do it.  Don't get me wrong here.  But, when I've seen it attempted, I've
seen a duke ask a Lady to sit with him that was not of his rank because they
were close acquaintances and were having a discussion that ranged through
dinner.  People will want to sit with whom they want to.  I've seen nobility
turn down sitting at high table to sit with their "friends."  It may work for
you.  It may not.  Don't get your hopes up, though.

Brenna