SC - Kids and feasts

kathe1 at juno.com kathe1 at juno.com
Wed Aug 5 05:30:32 PDT 1998

On Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:12:12 EDT melc2newton at juno.com writes:
>I am bidding to be Kitchen Steward, for my shires winter event, it
>will be a German dinner with Sauerbraten as the main course. My
>question for all the cooks who didn't go to Pennsic and those
>answering afterward is this, should there be a seperate childrens
>course and sitting area? If yes where should this be in the feast
>area. And should the kinder be given the last  course first or should
>they be given something special ( not regular feast) such as hot dogs
>or Hamburgers?

Depends on your site. If you have room, a seperate area for kids is nice.
Seperate room is really nice, but an area in the corner of the feast hall
would work.  They can eat with friends. If you have other things for them
to do, feed them first, so parents can help, then let them go off to do
other (supervised) activities while the adults eat. The shire next door
does this, and it's great. They have a wonderful Mom, who gives up her
feast to supervise the kids making artsy stuff so the other parents can
enjoy the feast. It's really nice. They do modified period food. Hot dogs
(which are kind of period-the frankfurter dates back over 500 years
although it was closer to sausage than Oscar Mayer), macaroni and cheese
(again, period with noodles, not with elbow macaroni, but the kids won't
know the difference), sugar cookies (which the kids decorated
heraldically with tubes of icing earlier in the day), raisins and fresh
fruit.

>I also would like to have the feast seated as to precedence ( Highest
>ranking member of family) i.e. If Duke Joe and Countess Jo Anne come
>to the event together then they would sit with the other Dukes and
>Duchess'.  Is this asking to much of the heralds and has this been
>done in any feast you all have attended.  The event is in January but
>preparation begins now.

Good luck!!! I've been wanting to do this for years. First in Ansteorra,
then Atlantia, now the East. Everytime I mention it, I get less than
enthusiastic responses, shall I say. Depending on the size of the group,
the Heralds could do it, but not all the Dukes like each other. :-D
Besides, they usually want to sit with households. Squires, etc. What
about Peers married to nobodies (meant in the nicest way! My husband is a
double Peer, but I'm a nobody myself.). Do the nobodies sit with Peer?
Then the other nobodies get their noses out of joint. If you make the
nobodies sit with the other nobodies, they  may be sharing daggers, etc.
with spouses. Anyway, I've never found a way to do it in the many years
I've tried. If it works for you, let me know. I'm still not giving up on
the idea totally.

>Thanks for any help and advice in advance,
>
>Thorbjorn Bjornson  AoA  Shire of Oakheart,  Calontir

Julleran, who's not heading to Pennsic for a few more days.