SC - Pizza

Wed Aug 19 12:26:03 PDT 1998

> I bought mine in Rome (in the Vatican, actually!  Holy pizza, Batman!
> :-)) by the slice, from a tiny shop in the thickness of the wall there
> around the square at St. Peters (if you look at a photo, you see those
> curved walls with allt he little columns--right on the other side of
> those).  It was thin and crunchy (and that's my preference in pizza
> crust ever since--I find I don't like "deep dish" because of allt he
> soggy bread) and it had a bit of tomato paste, a sprinkling of cheese
> and herbs--mostly oregano by the taste of it.  It was great bought hot
> on a rainy January afternoon--and the slices were in squares, from a
> rectangular pizza.
>
> Berengaria

This is the same type of pizza I got at a bakery in Naples about 1965.  The
tomato sauce was thick and nicely spiced with oregano, basil and rosemary,
then brushed onto the pizza in a thin coat which was then lightly sprinkled
with cheese.  The bakery made them in commercial baking sheets about 2 1/2
feet by 3 1/2 feet.  They sold it by the slice also.

Bear