SC - McKendry & Horizon??

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 26 07:18:40 PDT 1998

Gerekr at aol.com wrote:

> Hello All...
>
> Opinions please...
>
> Being limited to a fixed space for cookbooks, and recently having added a
> number of much more recent, authenticity-oriented titles, I was wondering
> if I'd be losing much, besides the illustrations, if I let go of Maxime
> McKendry's Seven Centuries Cookbook (1973) and the 2-volume Horizon
> Cookbook (1968).

I suggest you find a good home for the McKendry book. While there are better
secondary sources available now, it has a few really good redactions in it, and
I generally like to treat such sources that were once state-of-the-art, even if
now superceded, with respect. I'll even stop giving away copies of Fabulous
Feasts when I'm down to one copy. I think they multiply on the shelves, though.

As for the Horizon book, it does have some good stuff in it, although it does
have the weaknesses you mention. It also has some archaic foods from sources we
generally don't encounter in the SCA, I suspect.

Basically, no book is without value (although that Charlotte Adams Complete
Cooking Course comes pretty close!)

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com