SC - PPC - Petits Propos Culinaires

Acanthusbk at aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Sun Aug 30 13:54:53 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/30/98 3:13:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
retants at hotmail.com writes:

SNIP
> Anyway, does anyone know if this organization still exists?  I'm going
>  to send a letter to the US address in the back of the last book (the
>  organization is based in the UK), but if anyone knows anything else
>  about this organization, I'd love to hear it!
>
>  Caitlen Ruadh

Petits Propos Culinaires issues the following statement to those who inquire
about subscribing:
"We are often asked to tell people what our journal PPC (Petits Propos
Culinaires) is. The short answer is that is is a semi-academic periodical
which comes out three times a year and deals with food, cookery and cookery
books; that is usually runs to 64 or 72 pages, none occupied by
advertisements; and that the contributors are a mixture of professional
writers and amateurs. All issues are illustrated, in black and white
(reproductions of old engravings and woodcuts, etc., plus drawings
commissioned for PPC).
  PPC is not a collection of recipes, although most issues contain some
recipes of particular interest. These recipes have often been embodied in
articles, eg by the late elizabeth David and Richard Olney (both of whom
played an important part in founding PPC). Extensive Book Reviews and an item
called Notes and Queries are also regular features. The latter provides a
forum for reports on research in progress and for posing questions which
readers may be able to answer.

Present subscription rates (postage included) are as follows:
In the UK six issues are GBP23.50, three issues are GBP12.00;
In the USA six issues are $45.00, three issues are $23.50;
Elsewhere six issues are GBP26.00, three issues are GBP13.50.

If you would like to subscribe send your cheque to:
PPC (Petits Propos Culinaires)
45 Lamont Road
London SW10 0HU
tel/fax (0)171 351 1242
Email: aedavidson at compuserve.com

Your name and address should be clearly indicated as well as the type of
subscription chosen and the amount of money you enclosed.

We're sorry that we cannot accept payment by credit cards, as we are far too
small an operation for that! However, regular US dollar checks are perfectly
acceptable - made out, please, to "PPCNA", sterling cheques should be made out
to "Prospect Books Ltd."

Subscriptions can start at any point in the calendar year. New subscribers
will be started off, unless they request otherwise, with whatever is the
current issue when their subscription is received.

Back numbers [back issues]. These are currently all available, with
substantial discounts for people ordering large numbers. Just tell us what you
would like and we will let you know the cost. By the way, the back numbers
which contain cumulative indexes are: 16 (covering 1-15); 26 (16-25); 36
(26-35); 46 (36-45); and 56 (46-55).

All prices include postage. However, subscribers in Asia, Africa, Australasia
who wish to receive their copies by airmail will need to pay extra - just ask
and we'll give you the details. (Copies going to subscribers in North America
are all air-lifted to New York City and put into the US postal system there.)"

You might be interested to know that PPC's founder Alan Davidson also founded
Prospect Books, which publishes all those wonderful facsimiles of historically
noteworthy cookbooks. Mr. Davidson now focuses his efforts on publishing PPC,
while Prospect Books is run by Tom Jaine.

Beginning this fall Acanthus Books will maintain a complete inventory of all
back issues of PPC. If you're searching for PPC articles addressing a
particular topic of interest I'll be happy to make recommendations.

Amanda
            Most Complete Selection of In-Print
US & UK Antique Cookbook Facsimiles and Transcriptions
  Complete Works of Elizabeth David & Jane Grigson
      Request A Catalog......Acanthusbk at aol.com