SC - Candied Spices???

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Dec 2 17:51:48 PST 1998

Robyn Probert wrote:

> At 18:38 02/12/1998 -0500, Luveday wrote:
>
> >I am doing an Italian theamed feast in April and I was wondering, would
> >anyone out there know of a source of candied spices?  Or are these
> >relatively easy to make?  Also, what types of spices would be candied,
> >besides coriander. (The only one I've come across so far)
>
> You can buy a candied spice mix in Indian stores here which might be
> suitable - certainly all the spices are period ones.

I used to think that, too, until I bought some, made some, and saw how
different they really are. The Indian ones I've seen are candied,
usually, using various gums and artificial colors along with the sugar,
so the look and texture are quite different. They seem to be primarily
fennel, which could have been done, but doesn't seem all that high on
the list of seeds to be confyted. Anise, on the other hand, is, and many
people have trouble distinguishing the flavor of anise from fennel from liquorice.

Certainly you could buy the Indian candied spices, and most people would
neither know nor care, and would have a good time anyway. But, the fact
is that they're not the same as a period European product.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com