SC - Re: eastern european fare

Alma B. Johnson chickengoddess at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 7 05:50:50 PST 1998

At 9:24 PM -0800 12/6/98, Micaylah wrote:

>Cherry Bread Pudding - Known World Handbook (we have a gentle who can ONLY
>make this and has no desire to do anything else, so it is on the menu, but
>I have already pegged Arture into this slot) He does a good job so why fix
>what ain't broke? Some people really enjoy it!
>
>Blak Perys - Fabulous Feasts, page 193 - sounds too yummy to pass up.
>
>I understand the inconsistencies and problems of F.F.  But while I would
>never document a feast from this publication, I will not dismiss the book
>out of hand, especially when doing a period/perioid type Pot Luck and the
>rest of the book is actually quite interesting as I'm sure you'd prolly agree.

I'm not sure what "dismiss out of hand" means in this context. The fact
that a recipe is given in _Fabulous Feasts_ is not very good evidence that
it is period. Neither is the fact that it is given in the Known World
Handbook, incidentally. If you make such recipes, it is worth making sure
the people cooking and eating them don't take it for granted that they are
period recipes, since they probably are not.

It obviously isn't practical to make everything we do in the SCA perfectly
period. What is practical is to be clear about what things are or are not,
in order to spread information rather than misinformation. Sources such as
_Fabulous Feasts_ or the _Known World Handbook_, which imply that recipes
are period when they are not, make that more difficult, unfortunately.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com