SC - Time to give something back

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Mon Dec 7 12:10:31 PST 1998

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Philippa Alderton wrote:
> have found yellow-eyed peas, and Anasazi beans. Anybody know where they came
> from? I've been particularly curious about the Anasazi beans, since the
> Anasazi are a southwestern Native American tribe, long extinct, and I was
> wondering if they might have been found originally at one of their sites.
>
> Phlip

Anasazi beans are indeed reputed to be the direct decendants of beans
found in Anasazi Native American site in Colorado and New Mexico. Largely
grown around Dove Creek, Colorado, they are similar to pinto bean, but
more flavorful. Try http://www.dc-infoserv.com/adobe/homefrm.html.
The striking coloration goes away on cooking. I seem to recall a group
down around Tucson that was busy promoting a variety of native bean crops.
I'll try to find the address.

Mirhaxa, al-Baran, Outlands
  mirhaxa at swcp.com