SC - barley

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 06:52:51 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/11/98 11:07:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< I'd be had put to find a religion
 that _doesn't_ speak of their interpreted deity(s) (if any) as more or
 less all-powerful. That's why they're deities (if any).>>

I have no argument here except that diety is all powerful over only their
specific area, SFAIK. :-) My personal dietiy (s) are un;imited by concepts
such as all-powerful.

 <<Secondly, whether or not you agree with the statement,>>

I did not specify whether I agreed or disagreed with the biblical statement.
Neither did I make judgement on whether any one else should agree or disagree.
As  I noted before, the poster said that the ENTIRE document would be
appropriate for inclusion in guidelines for groups. I merely indicated those
areas which I felt should be eliminated or significantly changed to make it
more appropriate for an 'official' set of guidelines.

Neither did I make a judgement on whether the line was inspirational or not.
Certainly the Lady found it inspirational which is a good thing although I
personally find the concept of an all-powerful MALE diety not a little
unusual..

 <<the fact remains that the belief was widely held in 1950's Middle America.
As my Mom used to say, and still does, consider the source.>>

I am aware of the whole 30's attitude/culture having been raised in such a
setting.

 <<Ah, the path to political correctness is narrow and thorny..>>

I had not considered my proposed changes political correctness but rather
observations and recommendations which were a natural progression from
chauvinistic and repressive social attitudes. They certainly were not a
statement about the Lady's obvious strong spiritual awareness which I, in
fact, admire greatly.

 <<Adamantius, switching off philosophical mode after a dinner at the Grand
 Central Station Oyster Bar >>

Been there, done that and found it to be a spiritual experience in itself. ;-)

Ras