SC - Butter - yet again

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 21 09:54:31 PST 1998

It sounds like sirop of roses, which I've come across somewhere in the
limited resources of my public library.  The Fettiplace book probably. I
have it at home and will look and post it to you as soon as I can. I
know that Stefan's Florilegum has a section re: foods made from flowers.
Diana, if you aren't already making use of that resource on the web, go
hunting for it.  It is a collection of discussions on various SCA lists,
the topics are wide ranging.  It's a good place to get answers to the
sort of questions you've been posting to the Merry Rose.

Bonne

>I've never seen a recipe for Honey.  I'll pot to the cooks list and see
what we can come up with.

>~Genevia
<snip>
>Here's the recipe -- enjoy.
>Ha det sa bra & Happy Holiday,
>Diana Cosby
>cosby at erols.com
>
>Honey
>5lbs white sugar
>15 red rose petals (Removed from rose) *Do not throw entire flower head
into water.
>2 1/4 cups of water
>1/2 tsp. powdered alum
>40 red clover blossoms (Pick petals) *Do not throw entire flower head
>into water.
>30 white clover blossoms (Pick Petals) *Do not throw entire flower head
into water.

>Boil sugar and water until clear.  Add alum and boil a few minutes
longer. Remove from fire.  Add rose petals, and red and white clover
petals.  Let stand for awhile then strain. My grandma said she kept the
honey after in the fridge.