SC - Scottish/british food terms

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Tue Dec 29 18:19:34 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I can't say whether frosted cookies per se are documentable but almost all the
> literature that is available makes allusions to sweets and other tidbits
> served in assorted shapes. If frosting is documentable , your best bet would
> be to look in VERY late period sources since sugar was extremely expensive and
> was used mostly for medicine or as a spice. IIRC, Food in History documents
> sugar as costing around the equivalent of 500 American dollars/lb. (e.g. L200
> English) in the 13th century C.E. which cost would make it prohibitively
> expensive for even the most wealthy to make frosting from it.

Gervase Markham, published in 1615 but writing at some unspecified
earlier date, refers to putting baked cakes back in the oven after
topping them with sugar, the idea being to glaze them. I believe he
actually uses either the term frosting or icing, I forget which.

I believe le Menagier speaks of using rose-colored sugar for various
purposes, so, by extension... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy