SC - Re: eastern european fare

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 07:58:32 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/7/98 8:49:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
chickengoddess at mindspring.com writes:

<< The reason I am thinking of this is that I am trying to overcome the lack
of
 documentable period recipies for eastern european foods by looking at
 anthropological data and seeing what I can come up with by going at it from
 that angle.

 Rhiannon, Pengwydrwraig

Actually it's not at all clear whether there is documentation or not.
Historically these countries were heavily influenced by al-Islam which is a
continuing influence behind the problems in this region in the Current Middle
Ages. I would be hesitant to say rhat their is no documentation. There may be
maunscripts in the museums  and universities that were kept from the scholarly
world by the Communists.

There are several period cookery manuscripts in other Muslim countries that
are known to exist but have not been translated into English or released for
publication. Such may be the case in the Eastern Eurpean block.

If there are any university professors on this list who have contacts with
scholars at those universities it might be a good idea for them to actively
pursue an inquiry about what documents may be available and agressively press
for their immediate release.

Ras (who believes withholding knowledge for whatever reason is the definition
of evil.)