SC - MOL mediaeval Household (was:what shall i ask for from friends travelling)

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sat Dec 19 05:56:48 PST 1998

Anne-Marie wrote:

>Go to the Museum of London and buy every book you can find! :) The MOL
>series (shoes and pattens, Clothing and Textiles, Dress accessories, and
>the new one that we havent seen yet but have heard rumors about on
>household items!!!) is the gold standard among re-enactors, being a catelog
>of real artifacts and scholarly information

I just HAD to write and tell you that there is truth to this rumor, and I
hold it in my very hand! BWAH HAA HAA HAA!

"The Medieval Household" 1998; ISBN 0 11 290490 4; hardcover and costs 50 UK
pounds! I have a friend who lives in London, and returned recently for a few
weeks holiday, and asked if we wanted him to bring anything back for us. The
best AUS$150 I ever spent. A great book, and I was the FIRST of anyone I
knew to have one!
It is up to the standard of the other MOL books, with details on buildings,
fixtures and fittings, furnishings (lots of stuff on chests and boxes)
security equipment, lighting, spinning and weaving  and then 500 pages of
cookery related stuff! If they had it in London, it's in the book...
Skimmers, spoons, candlesticks, glassware, cooking pots and chains, bowls,
plates, jugs, boxes, spoons, etc. etc. etc.

As you've guessed already. I think this book is worth its weight in gold
(and costs it too, if you factor in postage as well). I now own all this
series except the Medieval Horse one. I can't justify it, as I'm never going
to own a horse. We don't currently reenact this period, except to go along
to other societies events, but are making a whole lot of reproductions from
these books anyway. Can't stop those addicted reenactors!

Glenda.