SC - Cookbook alert

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 29 07:32:54 PST 1998

Devra at aol.com wrote:

> < Gitlitz, David, and Linda Kay Davidson, _A Drizzle of Honey: The Life and
>  Recipes of Spain's Secret Jews_ St. Martin's Press, $29.95 352 pages.
>  ISBN 0-312-19860-4>
>

> Lew Wolkoff spoke to me about his book last month, since he though that I
> might be intersted in selling it.  You might check with him for further
> information.
>
> Devra the Baker

I believe this book is the result of some research being done a while
back, that was reported on in the New York Times a year or so ago. I
have a printed copy of the article around here _some_where. It is not
available via the NYT on-line archives, but most local libraries would
probably have it available one way or another. As I recall it was based
largely on recently discovered trial testimonies of people like Gentile
kitchen maids, who had, either by choice or perforce, testified against
their employers. Some of these people were convicted of being Jews
largely on the basis of their culinary habits, so there was a good deal
of fairly detailed testimony about the "odd" way the defendants made
their bread, etc.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy