SC - Marzipan: Was: Purple Fleur-de-Lys

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 31 06:28:44 PST 1998

Margaret wrote:

>Also, does anyone know how late flour started to be mixed with
>marzipan to make cookies (your basic Mexican wedding cookie/almond
>crescent/humdah Christmas cookie).

It wasn't within the SCA period.  The late 17th-century recipes I have
seen don't use it.  A few years ago I had questioned the use of sugar
syrup in making marzipan since most of the English recipes don't have
that variation, but modern ones do.  Then, I found a mid-1600s French
recipe with a sugar syrup added.  As for adding flour, I would wonder
if it might not be in the latter part of the 1700s at the earliest.
There was a lot of innovative dessert making going on then.  Wonder if
I have any cookery books in that time period??

Alys Katharine