SC - Fw: [Mid] Cook book

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Dec 24 10:19:08 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/18/98 9:30:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, phlip at bright.net
writes:

<<  I just found a book, titled "Seven Centuries of English Cooking: A
 >Collection of Recipes by Maxime de la Falaise". The first chapter covers
 >"the 14th to the 16th century", then other chapters cover the 17th, 18th
 >and 19th centuries. Original sources are listed. Has anyone else seen this
 >one? Is it good for using in the SCA? >>

I have it.  She does give the originals for most all recipes, but doesn't
follow them terribly closely.  For instance, in the "Yrchouns" recipe, she
adds egg and breadcrumbs to the mixture, as well as a couple of other things,
and interprets the coloring instructions to mean coloring the almond spines
rather than the meatballs themselves.  She also either doesn't know about or
doesn't follow which vegetables were available in period, as she adds green
beans to a 15th century recipe for pea soups.  The original does have beans in
it, but they couldn't have been green beans.
So, it's a good source of rhte original recipes, and the redactions can be
used as a basis for doing them properly ;-)

Brangwayna