SC - Cookie cutter cookie dough....

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 17:24:12 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/29/98 7:45:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
retants at hotmail.com writes:

<< I wonder if anyone has documented or found reference to
 anything, particularly cookies and such, frosted or iced? >>

I can't say whether frosted cookies per se are documentable but almost all the
literature that is available makes allusions to sweets and other tidbits
served in assorted shapes. If frosting is documentable , your best bet would
be to look in VERY late period sources since sugar was extremely expensive and
was used mostly for medicine or as a spice. IIRC, Food in History documents
sugar as costing around the equivalent of 500 American dollars/lb. (e.g. L200
English) in the 13th century C.E. which cost would make it prohibitively
expensive for even the most wealthy to make frosting from it.

Just my .02.

Ras

 What about
 colored icing?"  (it's a noisy little critter....)