SC - Three Questions (soup)

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Dec 3 09:17:19 PST 1998

Thorbjorn Bjornson wrote:

>This is her husband, what about the Bean and bacon soup?I love the stuff
>but cannot afford Campells.

This may or may not help...

1 ham bone, ham hock or set of bacon bones
2+ cups dried split green peas, yellow peas and/or lentils
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
water
bay leaf
1 tsp brown sugar
Good glug white wine vinegar
salt, pepper
A saucepan big enough to hold everything

Saute the onion, carrot and celery in the oil until soft. Add the
peas/lentils and saute until coated. Bury the ham bone in the vegetables,
add bay leaf and water to cover. Bring to the boil, stir, reduce heat and
simmer until done (you may need to add a little more water). When the peas
are soft, remove the ham bone and allow to cool. Remove the bay leaf and
puree the rest. Add more water if you like it thinner (I like it thick). Add
sugar, vinegar, grind in some pepper and salt - taste and adjust. Remove any
meat from the bones, dice and add to the soup. Good with toasted sourdough.

Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA