SC - Bread Making from Platina OT (Sour Starter)

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 5 17:15:18 PST 1998

Here is a recipe and my redaction.  What do you think?
Kiriel

Tartes for St Ursula's Day
Tak strandes of saffron and soke in water which has been boile. Breke egges
in bassyn and swyng hem sone.  Do grynde cinamon and mace to blynde with tho
eggs without lesynge.  Tak honey and small milk and saffron and add thereto.

Take a porcyoun of carot wel grynded and blynde with egg.
Make rounde coffyns of paast and add carot thereto.  Cooke hem till they be
wel and serve hem forth.

Redaction: St Ursula's Tarts

Take about 8 threads of saffron and pour a little boiling water over them to
draw out the colour and flavour. Take 5 eggs and beat them with a fork.  Add
a pinch or two of cinnamon and mace.  Food process about 5 carrots till
finely minced and add to eggs.  Add some honey to sweeten, a little milk or
cream and the saffron in water.

Make tart cases out of pastry and fill with mixture.  Cook in mod-high oven
(about 450*) until golden brown.

To be truthful, I actually invented both the original recipe and the
'redaction'.  I invented it to serve at a feast of the College of St Ursula,
in Rowany, which has a carrot as their "mascot".  They worked really well,
and
were delicious.  What do you think of the recipe?  The use of carrots in a
sweet dish I got from recipes for comfits, which boil carrots and sweet
potato in syrup.

Kiriel