SC - butter

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 5 22:31:32 PST 1998

At 5:03 PM +0300 2/4/98, dkpirolo at cts.com wrote:

>Anyhoo, of the period cookbooks currently available to us how many contain
>(mostly) original recipes (no KFC jokes,  please) and how many contain
>(mostly) accounts of how dishes were prepared?

I take it what you are asking is whether the recipes were original with
that cook, as opposed to recipes he got from somewhere else. If so, I think
the answer is that few of the recipes were original to that cookbook. My
reason for thinking that is that the same recipes appear in multiple
cookbooks, sometimes in the same words, sometimes in different words.

Master Chiquart, writing in Savoy in the fifteenth century, says he has
never seen a cookbook--but he uses recipes that also appear in English
cookbooks of the 14th and 15th centuries. It looks as though you have an
oral tradition containing a stock of common recipes, with some cookbooks
(such as Chiquart's _Du Fait de Cuisine_) written or dictated by a cook out
of the oral tradition, some copied, and some collections of recipes copied
from several sources.

I should add that I know the 14th-15th c. stuff better than the later, so
am expressing an opinion mostly about that.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/