SC - Odd question

Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 7 17:24:05 PST 1998

TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< Looking at a couple of modern Italian cook books, the terms cuttlefish and
 squid are used interchangeably, although I seem to remember them as two
 different critters. >>

Squid has longer tentacles and a paper thin clear internal shell. I t can grow
to gargantuan proportions although commercial squid are relatively small.
Cuttlefish have short tentacles and contain an inner shell that is very hard
and calcified (e.g. see the cuttle bones at the pet shop). To all intent and
purposes , they are interchangable in the majority of recipes, SFAIK. Finding
cuttlefish in American markets is almost next to impossible.

Ras