SC - kid cooks redux

Irissa Mitchell IrissaM at stlabs.com
Wed Feb 11 15:32:46 PST 1998

Lady Brigid kindly writes:

> The recipe for manjar blanco [blancmange] in the "Libro de
> Guisados" calls for a substantial amount of sugar in the dish, as well
> as some sprinkled on top of the finished product.  I'm too tired to
> attempt a translation tonight, but perhaps I'll post one tomorrow.
> There's also a recipe for manjar blanco for invalids, and two others
> made from fish and gourds (Lenten versions; no chicken).  All of
> them contain sugar as well as rosewater.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

This is sounding less and less like the dish I had envisioned... and less and less appropriate for the dishes I've arranged around it in the first course.

What, then, would be the "periodicity" of the dish I had originally envisioned...  which would basically be the original Harleian blancmanger sans the almond-milk step:  to wit, making a broth of the chickens, cooking the rice in the broth, shredding in the chicken and sprinkling with toasted almonds?  Can I "get away" with doing something like this?

Methinks I need to go back to that source book and start over...

	- kat  <<<SIGH>>>  Only thirty-one days left till F-Day...