SC - Copyright of Recipes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Feb 22 10:13:36 PST 1998

<< I like the sign idea!! The hot pads I do use it just seems that I burn
 the backs of my hands and top of my fingers somehow! >>

These sound like steam burns.  I burned my hands the same way when on my first
internship as a physical therapist getting hot packs out of the hot water
tanks.  Here are a few suggestions:
1. When you first open the oven door, or take the lid off a pot, wait a few
seconds for the cloud of steam to dissipate before you put your hands in the
oven or over the pot.
2. Always open pot lids away from you - tilt it up so the top of the lid is
facing you.  That way the steam goes away from you.
3. Use oven mitts rather than hot pads.  They protect the back and sides of
your hands from accidental touches on the sides of pots/oven  as well.
4. Use a "kitchen fish" to pull/push oven racks around.  A wooden device,
often fish-shaped.  You use the "mouth of the fish to push racks in, and the
front bottom fin, or notch in the same place, to pull them out.  Keeps your
hands out of the oven.

Brangwayna