SC - Valentine's Day Cinnamon Rolls - OOP

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sat Feb 14 11:08:48 PST 1998

I have escaped work this weekend and it is Valentine's Day, so to celebrate,
I greeted my favorite Valentine with some freshly baked cinnamon rolls.

She enjoyed them.  I hope you do also.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Bear

Valentine's Breakfast Cinnamon Rolls

1 cup of warm water (105-110 degrees F)
1/8 cup sugar
2 - 3 cups flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/8 cup of corn oil
3 Tablespoon of butter
Brown sugar
cinnamon
1/4 cup currants

Dissolve the sugar in the water.
Dissolve the yeast in the water and let proof.
Add corn oil.
Blend salt into 1 cup of flour and stir into the water.
Add remaining flour slowly (no more than 1/4 cup at a time), stirring in
thoroughly until the dough forms a soft, sticky ball.  This may not use all
of the flour.
Turn the dough out on a well-floured surface.
Flour the top of the dough and your hands.  Knead gently.
Work the dough until it stops being sticky to the touch.
Be sure the surface is well-floured, then pat dough into a rectangle (about
9 x 15).
Melt butter over low heat.
Coat the top of the rectangle of dough by brushing on about half of the
melted butter.
Sprinkle the rectangle first with ground cinnamon, then with brown sugar to
taste.
Sprinkle the currants on the half of the rectangle that will be in the
center when rolled.
Take one side of the rectangle and fold it about 1 inch toward the center.
Keep turning the thickened edge toward the opposite side of the rectangle
until the dough forms a roll.
With a sharp knife, cut 1 inch thick slices from the roll and place them on
a greased baking sheet with some separation.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until brown.
Brush remaining butter on the cinnamon rolls after they are removed from the
oven.

Notes:

This recipe makes about a dozen 2 inch cinnamon rolls or 6 four inch
cinnamon rolls.  The diameter of the cinnamon roll is determined by whether
the dough is rolled the width or length of the rectangle.

The dough is not very sweet.  If a sweeter dough is desired, try a 1/4 cup
of sugar.

The dough can be made richer by replacing the corn oil with melted butter
and/or adding an egg.

I used about 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

These cinnamon rolls were made for my wife, who does not like the sweetness
of most commercial cinnamon rolls.  The emphasis is on the cinnamon (which I
may increase the next time I make these).  I may also add a little nutmeg to
the mix for added bite.

If a sweeter roll in desired, increase the amount of brown sugar and use a
confectioner's sugar and water glaze.

I did not give these any time to rise, depending on the softness of the
dough to let the yeast rise during the first part of the baking.