SC - Re: Melissa! Letter arrived

Morgan morgan at lewistown.net
Thu Feb 26 12:32:17 PST 1998

At 10:00 AM -0500 2/26/98, Varju wrote:

><< Proper citation has nothing much to do with copyright law. If you copy
> someone's work and provide a suitable citation, you are innocent of
> plagiarism but may still be guilty of copyright infringement. >>
>

>OK, but I thought there was a provision within copyright law that allows for
>the use of a small protion of a longer work if it is attributed properly.  Is
>this true, or is it it just something grad students are told to keep the from
>getting to paranoid to complete theses asn dissertations?

There is a provision in the copyright law for "fair use," but it is not
mainly an issue of attribution. I haven't checked the act, but I don't
think it even mentions attribution, although there might be court cases
that do.

Whether something classifies as fair use depends on how well it fits a list
of criteria. They include amount copied (the less the better), educational
(or perhaps noncommercial?) use, likelihood of injury to the copyright
owner, and one or two more that I have forgotten. There is no clear rule
for how you calculate whether or not you fit these criteria well enough for
your use to count as fair.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/