SC - sugar raspings

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 14 23:12:56 PST 1998

Adamantius mentioned sugar raspings in conjunction with the
blancmanger recipe:

>I think your best bet would be to add some salt while the rice is
>cooking. And don't forget the garnish of sugar raspings. This will add
>to the vaguely alien effect, and also be somewhat reminiscent of many
>Middle-and-Far-Eastern dishes, which season chicken with sugar.

I don’t have the original recipe. Did it use the term "raspings"?

I would assume these are slivers of sugar sliced from a sugar cone.
Or would these just be large particles rather than slivers?

What is the best modern source? Just use granulated sugar? Make
a sugar syrup and dry into a block of sugar and then shave slivers
off with a peeler or grater of some sort? Or is there a ready-made
suger confection, such as for cake decorations, that would approximate
this?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net