SC - Long: Da whole onion soup deal, including porrey chapeleyn

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 1 09:47:11 PST 1998

>It exists in my head, nothing was writen down. Imam Bayadi means the
>imam fainted. it is sort of a reference to the story that an imam took a
>young wife, and she used up so much oil in the making of the dish he
>fainted at the cost. eggplant is sort of like a sponge, it will absorb
>an incredible amount of oil if it is allowed. the problem with a lot of
>the fried eggplant dishes is that they fry in oil that is not hot enough
>and it soaks up lots of oil, is soggy and greasy.

This is a fairly well known arabic dish. A recipe for it can be found in the
Sunset paper-back cookbooks called Mid-Eastern Cooking , or something very
similar. Naturally my copy developed legs. I MUST stop reading cookbooks in
bed.

The spelling is actually Imam Bayaldi * (* being a word I cannot remember),
meaning essentially Fainting Imam (priest). The story I heard was that the
young wife was cooking for her family a dish she had devised. An Imam was
visiting, and was invited to  take supper with the gentlemen, and fainted
from hunger/amazement when he saw and smelled the dish cooking. It is as
described in the foregoing post, a stuffed eggplant dish. The version I
recall seeing had tomato and onion in the stuffing, and small eggplants were
used (an annoying tickle in the back of my brain says it's pickled. I could
be very wrong about that, tho).

Aoife