SC - OT using stock and left overs...

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 06:26:34 PST 1998

<< Lets start a new thread about what to do with all
 the
   wonderful stocks we have (I'm presuming we all have, it is a cooks list,
   isnt it?) left over from the holiday feasts.  I would love to do something
   period,  >>

I reduce my stock to 1/2 or 2/3 and pressure can it in pints and quarts. A
very large portion of period recipes call for the addition of good stock and
this makes it handy to have year round.. It can be used as is or reconstituted
by adding water to the strength you prefer. This is an excellent way to avoid
the canned broths available commersially and saves time a dollars.

Unfortunately, I do not have any left from holiday cooking. It's all in jars
in the basement> 8 pints of turkey broth and 6 pints of ham broth. I also have
24 pints of beef broth and 36 pints of chicken broth canned and waiting to be
used.

The secret here is to buy when available on sale and/or debone your meats and
cook the bones, etc. off for stock, then pressure can. Often times I freeze
the bones, chicken skin and other bits until I have enough to make a kettle of
stock.

Ras