SC - shameless begging-oop recipe

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 14:13:25 PST 1998

Amra here, cleaning out the mailbox.  A few weeks back there was an
extended disucussion about drinkables, esp. non-alcoholic
alternatives. Just in case I didn't mention it then...

- ---Gretchen M Beck <grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> This isn't period in any way shape or form, but does provide a
> reasonable substitue for wine:
> Mix:
> 1 for 1 red/purple and white frozen grape juice concentrate
> add 2 cans of water for each can of juice
> add red wine vinegar to taste. (one the order of 1 or 2 tbsp
> per can)
> Essentially, the vinegar takes the cloyingly sweet edge off
> the grape juice, and you end up with something that tastes
> similar to de-alchoholized wine.

Diabetics or those who for other reasons might not want the extra
sugars can sorta invert the process (again, no proof of use within
period: my proportions were arrived at under small-batch home
conditions):

For 32 ounces (approx. one liter) of cool water, add one tablespoon
of balsamic vinegar. Stir well, serve chilled or "as is". To reduce
the "edge" of the vinegar taste, add an ounce or so of grape juice
concentrate, apple juice, grenadine syrup, or similar. Make in
advance and transport in 2 liter disposable soda bottles; or prepare
bottles in advance and add water after arriving on site (reducing
weight to be transported).

Alternatives: different types of vinegar (malt, cider, etc.); heat
before serving; reduce ratio (3 liter bottle, add more water); etc.

(My first intro to balsamic vinegar was to drink about an ounce,
straight, when offered in a tasting glass. The taste intrigued me,
and I began playing around with proportions...)

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com