SC - Bwokk! Bwokk!

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 2 18:16:08 PST 1998

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> >It exists in my head, nothing was writen down. Imam Bayadi means the
> >imam fainted. it is sort of a reference to the story that an imam
> took a
> >young wife, and she used up so much oil in the making of the dish he
> >fainted at the cost. eggplant is sort of like a sponge, it will
> absorb
> >an incredible amount of oil if it is allowed. the problem with a lot
> of
> >the fried eggplant dishes is that they fry in oil that is not hot
> enough
> >and it soaks up lots of oil, is soggy and greasy.
>
> This is a fairly well known arabic dish. A recipe for it can be found
> in the
> Sunset paper-back cookbooks called Mid-Eastern Cooking , or something
> very
> similar. Naturally my copy developed legs. I MUST stop reading
> cookbooks in
> bed.
>
> The spelling is actually Imam Bayaldi * (* being a word I cannot
> remember),
> meaning essentially Fainting Imam (priest). The story I heard was that
> the
> young wife was cooking for her family a dish she had devised. An Imam
> was
> visiting, and was invited to  take supper with the gentlemen, and
> fainted
> from hunger/amazement when he saw and smelled the dish cooking. It is
> as
> described in the foregoing post, a stuffed eggplant dish. The version
> recall seeing had tomato and onion in the stuffing, and small
> eggplants were
> used (an annoying tickle in the back of my brain says it's pickled. I
> could
> be very wrong about that, tho).
>
> Aoife

perhaps i was not entirely clear- Aisha taught me what she was taught to
make under the name of the imam fainted. after hanging out in the pan
arab comunity for several seasons, each sub group has its own variant of
any given dish, and is quite certain their tribe was the one that
invented it. sort of like checkov on star trek. the way to make it that
i know is not written sown, it was passed on to me in the traditional
way, in her tribal traditional way. how a saud or syrian makes it, i
haven't a clue. hers/mine is not stuffed, but very plain and simple. as
to the etiology of the name, i have also heard that version as well,
from a kuwaiti.
margali