SC - Ice Cream and Martha Washington

margali margali at 99main.com
Fri Jan 2 17:01:08 PST 1998

Mike C. Baker wrote:

> Amra here, cleaning out the mailbox.  A few weeks back there was an
> extended disucussion about drinkables, esp. non-alcoholic
> alternatives.

Wow, I'm sorry I missed that discussion.

Here's some suggestions, sorry they are too late for most 12th nights.

#1 Lemonade
Adapted from _The French Cook_ by Francois Pierre de La Varenne [Anr
ed.] For Charls Adams, 1654. 12°. University Microfilms International.
(1653 English translation of the 1651 text).  Page 288-9

<Begin Quote>How to make lemonade
It is made several ways, according to the diversity of the ingredients.
For to make it with jasmine, you must take of it about two handful,
infuse it in two or three quarts of water, and there leave it for the
space of eight or ten hours; then to one quart of water you shal put fix
ounces of sugar; those of orange flowers, of muscade roses & of gilli
flowers are made after the fame way. For to make that of lemon, take
some lemons, cut them and take out the juice, put it in water as above
said, pare another lemon, cut it into slices, put it among this juice,
and some sugar proportionally.
That of orange is made the same way. <End Quote>

1 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
additional flowers as desired

Boil the water and sugar together, allow to cool slightly and add the
lemon juice. Serve cold. The very late recipe (1651) for lemonade
includes the addition of flowers, including jasmine, orange blossoms,
muscade roses or gilly-flowers. The flowers should be added as an
infusion and removed before drinking. Remember that the flowers will
carry wild yeast and will ferment your lemonade if it is not kept under
constant refrigeration.

#2 Rose Soda
Adapted from _The 'Libre de Diversis Medicinis' in the Thornton
Manuscript (MS. Lincoln Cathedral, A.5.2)_. Edited by Margaret Sinclair
Ogden. Published for the Early English Text Society by Humphrey Milford,
Oxford University Press. Amen House, E.C. 4. England. 1938. Text circa
early 1400 CE. Page 60

<Begin Quote>Rose Syrup
Tak an vnce or twa of roses & sethe tham in water to the ij partis be
sothen in. Than clene it thurgh clathe & do suger ther-to & sethe it to
it be thikk as hony & vse as thu dose the tother. <End Quote>

My interpretation:
Take an ounce or two of roses and seethe them in twice as much water
until they are soft. The strain them through cloth and add sugar. Reduce
it until it is the thickness of honey. The use it as you do the other
(the honey?).

Also adapted from: Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the
13th Century. A Complete Translation by Charles Perry of the Arabic
Edition of Ambrosio Huici Miranda with the assistance of an English
Translation by Elise Flemming, Stephen Bloch, Habib ibn Al-Andalusi and
Janet Hinson of the Spanish Translation by Ambrosio Huici Miranda._
©1992 by Charles Perry. Reprinted in A Collection of Medieval and
Renaissance Cookery Books by Friedman, David (Sir Cariadoc of the Bow)
Published privately. Page A-73

<Begin Quote>Syrup of Fresh Roses, and the Recipe for Making It
Take a ratl of fresh roses, after removing the dirt from them, and cover
them with boiled water for a day and night, until the water cools and
the roses fall apart in the water. Clean it and take the clean part of
it and add to a ratl of sugar. Cook all this until it takes the form of
a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with two of hot water.... <End Quote>

1 tabelspoon rose extract
2 oz dried rosehips
1 pound sugar
water to one gallon

Rose extract can be found at Indian grocery stores. Bring sugar and
rosehips to a gentle boil in 1 or 2 quarts of water until the rosehips
have given the solution a pleasant pink color. Skim out all the pieces
of rosehips (strain if necessary). Add water to one gallon. Allow
solution to cool to 70 degrees, and add rose extract and champagne
yeast. Stir. Bottle quickly. Allow to stay at room temperature for about
3-5 days then keep refregerated.

#3 Lavender Drink
Adapted from Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th
Century. A Complete Translation by Charles Perry of the Arabic Edition
of Ambrosio Huici Miranda with the assistance of an English Translation
by Elise Flemming, Stephen Bloch, Habib ibn Al-Andalusi and Janet Hinson
of the Spanish Translation by Ambrosio Huici Miranda._ ©1992 by Charles
Perry. Reprinted in A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookery
Books by Friedman, David (Sir Cariadoc of the Bow) Published privately.
Page A-74

<Begin Quote> Syrup of Lavender (Halhal)
Take a ratl of lavender and cook it in water to cover, until its
substance comes out. Then take the clear part and add it to a ratl of
honey, and cook all this until it is in the form of a syrup. Drink an
uqiya and a half of this with three of hot water....<End Quote>

Simmer equal volumes of lavender and sugar in water, dilute for
drinking.

# 4 Spiced Pomegranate Drink
Adapted from Anonymous. _An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th
Century. A Complete Translation by Charles Perry of the Arabic Edition
of Ambrosio Huici Miranda with the assistance of an English Translation
by Elise Flemming, Stephen Bloch, Habib ibn Al-Andalusi and Janet Hinson
of the Spanish Translation by Ambrosio Huici Miranda._ ©1992 by Charles
Perry. Reprinted in A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookery
Books by Friedman, David (Sir Cariadoc of the Bow) Published privately.
Page A-74

<Begin Quote> Syrup of Pomegranate
Take a ratl of sour pomegranates and another of sweet pomegranates, and
add their juice to two ratls of sugar, cook all this until it takes the
consistency of syrup, and keep until needed. <End Quote>

And also from Maimonides, Moses (1135-1204 CE). _Maqalah Fi Bayan Ba'D
Al-A'Rad Wa-A;-Jawab 'Anha Ma'Amar Ha-Hakra'Ah_. edited and translated
by Leibowitz, JO and Marcus, S. _Moses Maimonides on the Causes and
Symptoms (Maqalah Fi Bayan Ba'D Al-A'Rad Wa-A;-Jawab 'Anha Ma'Amar
Ha-Hakra'Ah [and] De Causis Accidentium)_ Published by University of
California Press, Berkeley, CA. 1974. ISBN 0-520-02224-6 LCCCN 71-187873

page 139
<Begin Quote>...then leave the bath and partake of a brew prepared with
pomegranate seeds, sugar, many spices, and a touch of hot spices like
clove and mace, or a syrup of rose or sorrel, with water of oxtongue,...
<End Quote>

Spiced Pomegranate Syrup
1 quart of Pomegranate juice
4 cups white sugar (or honey)
Possible additions include: clove, mace, borage, mint, citron leaves,
spikenard, lemon peel, and canel or cinnamon.

Warm the pomegranate juice over medium heat. Add the sugar, stirring to
dissolve completely. Keep the mixture at a simmer for about 2 hours,
stirring occasionally. When it is suitably thickened, allow to cool
before bottling. Dilute about one part syrup to five parts water. The
resulting drink will be more brownish than the original red of
pomegranate. The Tacinum Sanitatis recommends eating sour pomegranates
with honey to neutralize the dangers to health, so use the honey recipe
if you want to replicate European diets.

#5 Cold Almond Milk
Adapted from _An Ordinance Of Pottage: An Edition of the Fifteenth
Century Culinary Recipes in Yale University's MS Beinecke 163_. Edited
by Constance Hieatt.

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar or clarified honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup blanched finely ground almonds
1/8 cup wine (use verjus, pomegranate juice or omit for completely
non-alcoholic beverage)
toasted bread

Place one cup of water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium
heat. Add sugar (or honey) and salt. Stir quickly so the sugar (or
honey) dissolves without burning. When dissolved, remove from heat and
allow to cool. Add finely ground almonds to the sugar water and mix. Add
wine and mix again. Toast bread, then brush it with a little wine and
allow the bread to dry. Serve cool with toast.