SC - Generic, No-Frills SCA-Cooks' universal rant

Chris Peters cpeters at cinemagnetics.com
Tue Jan 6 06:03:52 PST 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:10:45 +1100 (EST) Charles McCathieNevile
<charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au> writes:
>Adamantius, the feast sounds most enjoyable. By lemonade do you mean a
>
>lemon soft drink, or something like 7-up (I assume the former, but in
>Australia lemonade nearly always means the latter - the former is
>lemon
>cordial, or american-style lemonade...)

I'll let Adamantius go into the lemonade, since I wasn't there, but I've
never heard soda referred to as lemonade, if that gives you a hint! :-)

But I have to take this one. I've taught several classes that included
the history of Christmas and Twelfth Night, and it's one of my pet peeves
that the gift-giving Master Consumers of the world don't know this, but
in a nutshell....

>And for the benefit of the ignorant (ie me) what exactly IS 12th
>night?
>The nearest I can figure it is the 12th day of Xmas, which somebody
>said
>was when the magi brought the gifts.

Yes. Christmas was a religious holiday. Twelfth Night was when they gave
gifts - to commemmorate those brought by the Magi. In every Kingdom I've
been in (so far 6), it's the biggest event of the year with a big feast,
big court, usually involving making peers. This year we made one of each
and many years ago my husband was knighted at an Ansteorran Twelfth
Night.

>But I confess to not knowing -
>that
>is a bit of a stab in the dark.

Good guess. But then Scadians are usually better educated than the
average consumer, even when they don't realize it!!! :-)

>Charles Ragnar

Hope your Twelfth Night (yesterday) was festive, even if you don't
celebrate it in your Kingdom. Maybe you should start?

Julleran