SC - sca-cooks V1 #518 -Reply

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Tue Jan 6 15:12:01 PST 1998

My apologies if this one has already been answered...

Crystal o'the Westermark writes:

> As my faulty memory serves me: if you accidently use meat tools for milk
> (or the reverse) you must wash them, bury them in the earth for three
> days and wash them again before you use them. There's always ways to
> clean (purify) things.

Not to mention having to pay for the rabbi to come in and bless everything all over again...

According to my roommate, a gift often given at weddings (in addition to the two sets of china) is for an older relative to arrange payment with the rabbi to come in and bless the new home, dishes, pots, pans, etc.  If you can afford it, having separate refrigerators for Milchen and Fleisschen is also a good idea...

> Wander into your local Jewish bookstore and flip
> through some books. I've always found the staff helpful at such places,
> even in the face of my really silly questions. (I once needed to know if
> baking powder counts as a levening agent, it does.)

My roommate used to have (and lost) a wonderful book that was called "The Jewish household" or "Keeping a Jewish home" or something like that.  She calls the book, in private, as "So Ya Married a Jew."  I'm STILL searching for  copies of that....

	- kat (not an expert by any means, nor Jewish; just curious)