SC - OT Octane was brewing

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Jan 7 07:33:37 PST 1998

> >OK Brandu---that's an unfair spoon-teasing practice! We want
> particulars,
> >please.
	<snip>
	>		 Too bad I have no one to tell my fortune from
> >the grounds in the bottom of the cup.
> >

> I have a Turkish Coffee recipe in my Meal Master database.  Try it,
> and let
> me know if it brings back any memories.  :)

<snip of good basic coffee recipe>

>    My husband LOVES this coffee, but we never havvve wuite figured out
> hot
> make it foam up.  My husband read somewhere that there is supposed to
> be a
> froth on top of the coffee and that it is according to Turkish
> tradition it
> is considered an insult to skimp someone on the froth when serving.
> This
> recipe does not seem to make any froth though - perhaps we are doing
> it
> wrong?  PLEASE, let me know how it turns out for you!

The froth is called "Kaimak", I believe, and is the result of NOT
"boiling" the coffee.
Coffee oils are most efficiently extracted between 180 and 195 degrees
F.
If the coffee goes above 205 degrees, the coffee oils begin to break
down, and
the Kaimak ( derived from the coffee oils ) goes bye-bye.

Making this coffee is a balancing act, and takes practice.
The idea is to maintain the ground coffee at 180 to 200 degrees as long
as possible
to extract the fullest coffee flavor.  If the coffee is allowed to boil,
or the syrup to
thicken, then temp will go too high, and the coffee will burn.

You boil the sugar and water until it bubbles up well.
Remove from heat until the bubbling ceases.
add the coffee (not commercial "Ground" -- use espresso powder, or crush
your own
dark roast in mortar and pestle, or a Turkish hand mill ( available from
most spice stores
- -- Evidently the "Frugal Gourmet" made a big deal about them being the
BEST for
milling pepper ) and cardamom, and stir.  This should be the LAST TIME
you stir!
place the Ibrik back on the heat until the coffee just STARTS to bubble,
and quickly
remove from heat!  Repeat this twice more, and at the third bubbling,
serve into
cups immediately.

		Brandu