SC - Pastrami

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 07:36:59 PST 1998

Lord Ras writes:

> OK.......in many of the lists I subscribe to inevitably some subject
> comes up
> which describes methods or asks for methods to do things which are
> "illegal"
> in the USA. Without exception your typical do-gooder/faux lawyer chmes
> in with
> a message that reads.....We can't discuss/give out that info or
> condone/incourage it because it is ILLEGAL....

Lord Ras,

On the whole I agree with you.

I find that there is a slippery middle ground where the discussion gets
into techniques and tips.  The discussion goes over the edge, in my
mind, when phrases like "If you do <this known illegal activity in this
way> the <govt. or regulating agency> will never know, and you can go
about your business...", start going back and forth
then that is advocating the engagement of known illegal activity.  That
starts to fall outside "Free Speech" parameters, and can technically be
construed as incitement to engage in illegal activity, and conspiracy.

If this is partially a poke in my direction, then you are wide of the
mark.
While I insist that there is no ADVOCACY of known illegal activity on
the SCA-Distilling list, I certainly do not say that there can be no
discussion.

Brandu