SC - CO2 cautions

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Jan 8 03:36:32 PST 1998

Adamantius said:

Yes, Twelfth Night is the Twelfth Night of Christmas (when the Twelve
Drummers Drumming show up, in fact), counting Christmas Eve as the First
Night. Ancient practice for many cultures seems to work on the theory
that many festivals start at sundown, not at sunrise. I know the actual
birth of Christ, for those who adhere to that sort of thing, is
generally regarded as having occurred at midnight, which might be part
of the reason. On the other hand, Passover, Hanukkah, and the Chinese
Lunar New Year celebration (and I expect to be posting our menu for
THAT, believe me) all begin at sundown on the evening before the first
day of the festival. Come to think of it, doesn't the book of Genesis
refer, somewhat formulaically, to such-and-such happening "on the
evening and the morning of the third day"?
- -----------

I don’t think this is quite right. I believe that in the Middle Ages
and before, the day actually started at what we think of as sundown the
day before. I think this gradually changed with the greater use of
mechanical clocks.

I’m not sure, but I think there is more information on this in this
file in the TIME section of my Florilegium:
clocks-msg        (18K)  4/ 2/97    Medieval clocks and concepts of time.

And this one in NICOLAA’S ARTICLES:
time-art          (17K)  7/17/94    Article on the medieval concepts of time.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at email.sps.mot.com