SC - CO2 cautions

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Jan 8 12:58:45 PST 1998

> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:38:18 -0500
> From: kathe1 at juno.com
> Subject: Re: SC - OT - EK 12th Night
>
> On Tue, 06 Jan 1998 01:07:15 -0400 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> writes:
> >Hi, Cooks all!

> > I always thought
> >it was my friends' little joke when they said I looked just like Fred
> >Flintstone dressed as Constantine the Great. DOH!!! Can there be some
> >truth to the rumor?
>
> Actually, I think you look more like John Goodman!

'Tis probably the wavy locks. The shiorter my hair is, the more
Flintsone remarks I tend to get, and commensurately fewer Goodman
comparisons. On the other hand, considering one particular role Goodman
has played... . Speaking of Goodman, I wonder if he's descended from the
Goodman of Paris (badda boom! badda bing!)

> I didn't stay for the feast, but the day board was spectacular. I think
> it was on this list (maybe EK) that we were be-moaning people putting out
> dried out bread and rubber cheese and calling it lunch, then charging
> through the nose for it. Well-l-l-l, let me tell you! Lunch was three
> types of soup, I think four types of tarts, breads with home-made jams,
> apples, muffins, lots of veggies, cheese, roast beef(a little tough, but
> very tasty) and I think I'm forgetting something. Considering that the
> cost of day-tripping was only $6.00 - which in the East, unfortunately,
> is becoming budget! - I was truly impressed. Vivat to whoever prepared
> the lunch!

Lady Andrea Caitlin MacIntire. She picked up the project, which was
dumped by the previous lunch cook due to an emergency, TEN DAYS BEFORE
THE EVENT. What's more, the church we used as a site is a really
expensive place to hold an event. I believe most of the site fee was for
the site itself. I believe you paid something like $1, or maybe even
$.75, for the day board, if I remember my conversation with Lady Andrea
correctly.

>  Seems I showed up five minutes late for the "Pie-a-Peer"
> >Auction.
>
> Maybe because you're a peer this year and didn't want to be pied?!?!? :-D

Well, I was sorta dressed for it, during the early part of the day. I
had intended to volunteer, and even entertained hopes that one or more
of you might feel the need to nail me. But, these pies weren't being so
much thrown as ground into the face and hair of the victi---volunteers,
and I feared for the one good article of clothing I had on at the time,
and wasn't sure I would be able to wash my hair on site. Cream is
probably good for the hair, but it gets smelly after a couple of hours.

> >Happy New Year to all!
>
> Same to you. Now, when do we get the menu for Crown???

If you want the working version, you can have it now:

Feast Menu, Spring Crown Tourney, A.S. XXXIII

Preset: the Usual &^*%$#@ Honey Butter, and probably the equally
&^^%$#@* Herbed Cheese Spread, with various breads and a Beverage To Be
Chosen From First-Round Draft Picks

The First Course:

Porrey Chapeleyn (White Onion Pottage with Almond Milk and Crisps)

Coneys in Papdele (Hashed Rabbit Stew Layered with Pasta)

Sallet (Mixed Raw Greens, Seasoned)

Rampaunt Perrey (Pear Mousse with a Standing Pastry Garnish)

Entremet:

Blanc Manger (Savory "Risotto" with Almonds and Chicken Breast)

Second Course:

Cormarye (Marinated Pork Loin in Red Wine Sauce)

Chyches (Chick Pea Puree with Olive Oil and Garlic)

Porrey of Spynoches (Spinach Pottage Creamed with Butter)

Doucetys (Honey Custard Tarts)

There will be a dessert board with wafers, crispes, and spiced candies,
etc., accompanied by a cider hippocras or some equivalent beverage, and
two Mysterious Brown Beverages From The East, Reputed to Keep One Awake
At Night.

It had occurred to me that feasts with several courses seem to have
problems with big, kingdom-sponsored events. It's much harder to keep
people seated with the politics pheromone wafting through the air. To
that end, I've reduced the number of dishes, and decided to have only
two courses (appropriate, according to sources like Chiquart) with an
entremet, literally, "between the meats". If I can find a suc--a
volunteer who is interested in producing an elaborate subtlety, it would
presumably be brought out for display with the entremets (I may add one
more entremet), and eaten after the main feast.

This menu is still rather tentative. One thing you'll notice is the
absence of the fairly typical medieval dried fruit dish. I may correct
this.

My budget is HUGE by the standards of other menus listed on SCA-Cooks.
Doing this in the suburbs of New York City, I expect to need every penny
of it. Luckily, I have been specifically requested by Their Highnesses
NOT to serve a fish dish, so there's an extra $6 or $7 a pound I won't
have to allocate.

Recipes will get here eventually as I finalize things, which, luckily, I
won't really need to do until March or April.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com