SC - Mongols and Huns

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Jan 9 04:43:41 PST 1998

Adamantius commented:

> Roasted garlic is a wonderful thing. I though there was a adapted recipe
> for it in
> L. Sass's _To the King's Taste_. Is that recipe wrong? I know the book
> is not perfect, but it certialnly seems like roasted garlic should be
> within medieval cookery.
>
> Crystal of the Westermark

I agree, roasted garlic is a terrific thing. I am fairly certain,
though, that the recipe in TTKT is for aquapatys, from the Forme of
Cury. It is boiled garlic, which, while tender and yummy, is a bit
different from roasted garlic, lacking the characteristic caramel brown
and the garlicky/nutty flavor.
- --------

Still sounds like it could be an interesting recipe and it’s proveably
period.

Is this boiling the head of garlic or just the cloves? I assume there
is more to it than this though, otherwise I doubt it would be in a
cookbook.

Could someone post the original recipe and perhaps a redaction if
there isn’t one in the book? I don’t have a copy of _To the King’s
Taste_.

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  (Interested in other period garlic recipes, too)