SC - Re: Mead notes

Mordonnade Mordonnade at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 16:55:04 PST 1998

Hi

First to follow the trend of giving out personal notes;
27
Doing my MA in archaeology
non-SCA
new to medieaval cooking

Second, just some thoughts about evidence, I am curious to what extent you
experiment with traditional, rural food, and trying to apply to that those
ingriients that were available in "period". Though it is true that ther
only way to be sure of the exact dishes is through recipies that has been
kept, these must still keep the vast majority of recipies hidden as I
assume they only deal with the diet of the nobility.
As there are still a food eaten -lutfisk to metion something or more
commonly most things smoked or salted- that are derived from times with
less storage possabilities, the archaeologist in me is curious about what
food can be reconstructed with out recipies.
Have any of you done experiments based on either traditional ideas or
archaeological evidence? I know of a few experiments done by
archaeologist, mostly in brewing beer and fermenting porridge -prehistoric
or making ovens -most times....but as some of them seem to lack the
instincts of a cook I thought I ask you,

humbly Daniel