SC - OOP-How to carbonate beverages

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Sun Jan 11 02:23:08 PST 1998

> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 14:34:08 +0000
> From: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - "Paul's Epistle to the East Irish."
>
> In a crude attempt at forcing this on topic 8), I'll say that I definitely
> prefer the Irish cuisine to the Japanese....  (I think we discussed this
> once already, though it could have been the Eastrealm list, and in either
> case I don't recall the outcome - do we have any sources for period cookery
> in Ireland?)
> Alasdair mac Iain

AFAIK, I am aware of several literary references to what foods were
eaten, a 6th-century C.E. description of a typical daily pottage eaten
by St. Colmcille, and a 16th-century poem about the sustaining virtue of
the herring. That's all I know about. No recipes per se, although the
pottage description is reasonably detailed enough to work with, I'd say.

And no help from other Goidelic Celtic cultures: I don't think there are
any period recipes from them either. One interesting little snippet I
read recently is that the folk of the Isle of Man are major exporters,
and also consumers, of octopus. I've heard the Irish will occasionally
throw a squid or two into the fish fry, but never anything like this.

It's tempting to assume some of the better-known Irish and Scots
traditional foods are variations on period ancestors, but there's little
or no real evidence of this, except perhaps in the case of haggis.

Adamantius, who has a theory about colcannon...
troy at asan.com