SC - kosher

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Sun Jan 11 02:27:55 PST 1998

> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:31:15 EST
> From: Seton1355 <Seton1355 at aol.com>
> Subject: SC - kosher
>
> I have been looking & looking but I cannot find definite references to what
> medieval Jews ate. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.
> Phillipa Seton

I know I have this somewhere, but just can't seem to find it when I need
it.

There was an article in the New York Times several months ago concerning
the eating habits of "secret" Jews, living in Spain, IIRC, in the
sixteenth century. Apparently there are extant manuscripts of trial
testimonies of household servants suspicious of some of the flatbreads
being eaten at certain times of the year (like around Easter), as well
as unusual dairy habits, and various other "suspect" activities.

As I recall there were three or four redacted recipes, including a
really nice jam-filled fritter, unless I'm mistaken.

As I say, I had printed it out on paper, and so didn't need it backed up
on my hard drive. Now, of course, it has vanished. You might try the
Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature, or write to the Times.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com