SC - Scotch eggs

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 14 16:21:23 PST 1998

I love you, Stefan,

You ask so many questions, you make me clarify my thoughts:-D

Brandy was originally distilled wine which had been distilled in Roman
times in order to reduce its volume, as there was a tax on wine per volume
entering Rome. By distilling it, wine merchants figured that they were
bringing many amphorae of wine in one. Little did they know that, with the
aid of the Taxman (in this case, I think the emperor), they had invented
one of the most wonderful strong liquor drinks on the planet. I don't know
quite what goes into some of the cheap "brandies" which are sold in the
Liquor stores, and I don't think I want to, but a true Brandy is distilled
from a good wine. If you wish to sample one of the best of the affordable
ones, try Metaxa 7 Star. Truly has the kiss of the grape. Don't bother with
the Five-or-less Stars: they aren't worth your time. I'm not much of a hard
liquor drinker, but a good meal followed by a cup of good coffee and a
snifter or three of Metaxa willput me in Heaven any time!

As far as distilled mead, I don't know. Perhaps it would be called a honey
Brandy?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,