SC - story of Vatel...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 14 21:51:18 PST 1998

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Or, you could take a head, singe or scald it, scrape off all the hair,
> split it with an axe or cleaver, and remove the brain, reserving it for
> another purpose. Possibly a charlet of some kind. Also remove the eyes.
> (Yeah, I know I'm a spoilsport...) Anyway, blanch the head in salted,
> boiling water, remove and rinse in cold water. Simmer slowly in a white
> wine court-bouillion for four hours or so, or until the flesh begins to
> slip off the bones --
>
> You don't really want the rest of this, do you? I could go on, but I
> suspect I'm losing my audience.

Why would you? Please do continue, if possible in a period vein, but
most assuredly I am confident that I speak for the majority of those
here when I urge you to continue in whatever manner you find suitable.

> Maybe that Important Personage who spent most of the day at our
> Kingdom's 12th Night in a private room, watching football on a portable
> TV. And who also left the feast without a word to anyone outside of his
> own party, in between courses, after checking the menu to find out what
> he'd miss by doing so.

It is when I hear stories like this that I wish that our society had
stricter standards than it does. At similar times I have in the past
comforted myself with estimating the dressed weight, the quality of the
hide, etc.

> Windows to the soul, my lady, windows to the soul...

So *that's* why I only see a blank space when I look into a mirror.
Sometimes with a small sign saying "for sale or rent"...

/UlfR
Preemptive Maritime and Coastal Salvage, Ultd.
"You've got it? We've got it!"

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
If you know what you are doing it's not research.