SC - Re: Scotch eggs w/ question

Lisa Moran mairi at sicorp.ssnet.com
Fri Jan 16 18:28:26 PST 1998

> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:02:59 -0800
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
> Subject: RE: SC - Almond milk - IP

> Our almond milk (made with finely ground almonds and water) comes out as
> white as milk, usually a slightly thinner consistancy.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

That would make sense from a chemistry standpoint. Some recipes call for
grinding the almonds with a  few drops of water so that "no Oil may come
to the top" or some such. Since it's pretty clear that the authors of
the recipes don't want the oil floating on top, I think it's a fairly
safe bet to say that almond milk is an emulsion of sorts.

Looking at other emulsions, like, say, cream or mayonnaise, you'd expect
it to be pale and nearly opaque. What I've made in the past has been
along the lines of skimmed milk. White but slightly translucent. I
expect grinding the almonds finer would help.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com