SC - Re: Brandy

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 20 14:05:43 PST 1998

Greetings!  Adamantius wrote:

>I'm not aware of woad being used in food. More likely tournesole, I'd
>say.

Actually, I believe it was.   There is a reference to "ynde wawdeas" in
_Curye on Inglisch_ that when it is mixed with saffron and egg white it
will produce green; the more saffron, the lighter the green) My guess
is that this is "indigo wode."  If memory serves (I'm not runnig off to
the book!) it was used to color a boiled sugar syrup for making "sugar
plate" or else for coloring sugar candy.  I can provide the specific
recipe number if anyone really wants it.

Alys Katharine