SC - Gold, Silver, Etc.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 21 17:55:15 PST 1998

Celestria wrote:

>I was under the impression that in period silver leaf was the only
>precious metal used for food decoration that was also eaten?  Also is
>the silver and gold leaf available at the local craft store fit for
>human consumption?

Gold, silver and painted tin leaf were all used to cover or decorate
foods (see The Viandier of Taillevent).  Others have probably posted
about using gold and silver leaf that is NOT mixed with other metals.
I don't know about the desirability of eating tin leaf.  Possibly it
was pulled off the foodstuff before consumption.  Or, maybe someone ate
it.  People ate and used things (lead in cosmetics, for example) that
we modern folk wouldn't use.  (Minor digression - How many of us would
actually drink raw cow's milk, presuming we could even buy it?  In
Ohio, for example, _if_ you can find it, it is only to be fed to
animals.  Hard to make certain the period dishes using homogenized
milk!)

Alys Katharine