SC - Sumac (was: Imam Bayaldi)

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Jan 24 07:58:47 PST 1998

<<  The
 problem with doing so is that it may make people less willing to consider
 that perhaps they could have more fun if they figured out ways of making
 fewer compromises with period practice--indeed, that figuring that out is
 one of the fun parts of the game. >>

I agree that that is one of the fun parts of the game, However:
I am an SCA cook, that means I cook for people in the SCA.  To me that means I
cook to make THEM happy.  The people of the SCA that I know are, for the most
part modern westerners, with modern, western dietary tastes.  I try to
intoduce them to "period" dishes, but to ask them to endure a week long event
with nothing but medieval dietary forms would be asking a bit much.
Until I joined this list and learned just how little I know, I was simply a
pretty good cook who had the job of feeding about thirty people for our House
at War and Household events.  I did the best I could to see that we always had
enough food, and that everyone had at least one hot dish at any meal they
could enjoy.  I thouroughly enjoyed the game, in spite of my lack of knowledge
of what was period.  So did my diners.
Now that I am learning a bit about the subject, I intend to put what I know to
use in my event cooking, as far as I can.
But I will not give up the coffee pot, nor the tea pot.  My primary
responsibility is to my House, and suiting their tastes is more important than
my ego.