SC - Mushroom Pasties

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Sun Jan 25 13:57:52 PST 1998

Adamantius answered my question about what was meant by blanching:

>Effectively blanching is akin to the modern definition of parboiling. It
>is _not_ akin to the period definition of parboiling, though, which
>generally means boiling till the food is done.

Thank you for the explantion.

>Are you confused yet? ;  )

Well, sort of. Earlier in this list parboiling of onions was
mentioned and I’ve seen it in (most?) period recipes with onions.
I think earlier it was interpreted on this list to mean what you
just described for modern parboiling. ie: A short boiling and then
cold water. Are you saying that in period recipes, parboiling
the onions means boiling until soft all the way through? For
that is how I would interpret *boiling till the food is done*.

Stefan li Rous