SC - Where are you?

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 19:24:26 PST 1998

Greetings.

The Festival of Maidens is over, and with it, my dessert feast.  Here is
the menu, and if you are interested in anything, email me, and I can send
it out in a couple days...

Pain de Champagne
(Thanks Bear, it worked out wonderful)

Shortbread 1580's
(Original in Lorna Sass's "To the Queen's Taste")
This was one of the favorites, and got me the dubious honor of the queen
asking me to offer my assistance to the feastocrat for the Tournament of
Chivalry.  I used a redaction that Bear put together with very slight
modifications.  This stuff is out of this world...

Apple-walnut tart  1300's
Straight from Alia Atlas' translation and redaction of _Ein Buch von guter
Speise_.
Also a good one, all five disappeared, even though only about 70 or so
came instead of the expected 150.

Crispy Pear and Apple French Toast Sandwiches 1300's
Once again, Alia Atlas' translations and redactions saved the day.  They
loved this one.

Cripsy pear and apple sauce.
Well, the filling went further than expected, so I added some lemon juice,
and boiled it down to apple sauce consistency.  It tasted fine to me, and
after the feast there was only an empty bowl...

Almond Tart
Lorna Sass's redaction in _To the Queen's Taste_.  Topped with the peach
topping that was suggested here on the list.  There was one of two left
over (planned for too many) but I am content, as it will be breakfast for
a while.

Angel Food
Suggested on here, rosewater, ricotta and honey.  Great stuff.

All in all, I found that a dessert revel is a pain, since you are not
really feeding people, I found it hard to gifure out how much to make.
Then again, I was told to expect 150, and like I said, 70 showed up.  The
food was pretty well taken care of, since the royalty and a few other
guests took food with them.  Also, the Barony is having a pot luck on
Friday, so the rest will show up there.  For drinks I just did a lemon
drink, water, and a rosewater drink.

On a side note, when I was messing with making the syrup for the rosewater
beverage, I found that if you add Karo and boil it a little longer than
you might otherwise, it makes a terrific shatterglass candy.

Off to finish doing the dishes...
Bogdan