SC - Where are you?

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Jan 26 07:10:51 PST 1998

In a message dated 1/26/98 4:14:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au writes:

<< On the other hand, the related question about chicks is still a good one.

Perhaps someone has saved the previous post regarding chicken breeds that I
posted a while back.  IIRC, I pointed out a few varieties that were grown then
and still are available today.  The size of the eggs a chicken produces is
based entirely on the breed of chicken.  Contacting any good poultry house and
purchasing a breed available in the MA's will surely produce eggs the size of
medieval eggs.

This is a perfect example of let other's do the work for you. :-) You want
period eggs> raise period chickens.  Or for that matter, if you want period
strawberries> raise them.  They are available from any good seed/nursery
catalog under the name of the "alpine strawberry."  Over the next couple of
weeks, I will be working on a list of breeds and plant varieties that were
used in the MA's that are available in the Current MA's.

Being a technological society, I think we tend to puff ourselves with a false
sense of uniqueness when dealing with other time periods, oftentimes
forgetting that mankind was for almost the entirely of it's historical
existence an agricultural society.  Modern improvements used for commercial
cropping are unique.  For example, the Red Delicious apple is the best selling
apple.  Ironically, it is probably one of, if not the most, insipid apple
varieties produced by modern man, tasting very little if anything like a real
apple.

The point being that if you want period varieties and breeds they are
available with some exceptions.  They are almost without exception not
commercially feasible so expect to grow them yourself instead of rushing off
to the supermarket.

Ras